Saturday, July 10, 2004

Taken hostage, again

It was said, after 9/11 that what was taken hostage on the airplanes was the faith of Islam. Regardless of who said it, and what their intentions were, the statement did ring true. It did to me, at least.

After being horrified at the events after 9/11 and how the things have taken a turn for the worse, especially the extremist view prevalent among many I talked to, I was thrilled to see a liberal Muslim space emerging, at least on the internet. I am taking about Muslim WakeUp!.

However, I feel that the liberal Muslim view has been taken hostage here. I may be overreacting, or may be not. I had always thought that liberal Muslims were about giving each other some breathing space, being sympathetic to each others so as to help them be better Muslims, and being able to see fault in oneself too. It was about being closer to the essential spiritual path and faith, and freeing it of stereotypical, regional, chauvinistic, and national shackles. Mostly, about being better and humble people who could help each other out even when they are not perfect, in order to escape greater evil if we left each other alone, and made Muslims feel excommunicated.

I have been sadly disappointed. What is emerging is a community which tries to justify its wrongs, and rather put the blame on those who advise against it. I thought decent liberal muslims were about caring about the sinner, so as to help him/her get away from sin, not encourage it! I think the movement is nascent, and I hope the sane elements emerge victorious.

4 Comments:

Blogger Abdusalaam said...

It's good you started your own blog. I was feeling a little alone out there. :) I hate being in the spotlight alone; seems so vain and pretensious.

I hate giving my opinions, but I feel it is important people spoke up. If we didn't speak out, people will never know what we stand for. And in this age where people like us feel alienated, it is even more necessary for us to seek each other out and form a support group.

This is one reason I like Muslimwakeup so much, eventhough there are some aspects of it that I don't like. Speaking of muslimwakeup, did you know about that site before I told you about it?

Although I have more to say on the topic, I unfortunately, get tired real fast when I type. So I'll leave it at that for now.

July 10, 2004 9:05 PM  
Blogger qawukzi said...

You're right. There was a great need for a place where people could talk. I'll give a very stupid analogy here - you know how you sometimes feel there should be someplace you can actually hang out, other than home, work place, mosque. The point is, Muslims don't feel welcome in a bar. But a comfy no alcohol cafe where you can meet different people and talk. Its just that at MWU! one sometimes feels its a bar, and not a cafe. Ok I think I made very little sense here.

But anyways, I'm glad there is somewhere we can talk. In any case, its also important for the moderates out there to speak out against liberal extremists. When I look at the comments there, moderates are speaking out. So I guess its not too bad.

By the way ... you were the one to tell me of MWU! The people I meet here are usually Salafis, US liberals, and an angry Shia guy. Interesting combination!!

July 11, 2004 1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was Hamza Yusuf Hanson who first coined the term, 'Islam was hijacked.'

July 14, 2004 1:27 AM  
Blogger qawukzi said...

Thanks,

I usually write and talk in less than perfect words. I did remember that it was 'hijacked', and not 'taken hostage', but I didn't know it was Hamza Yusuf. Though I do remember some Americans used the expression.

July 14, 2004 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home