Saturday, August 14, 2004

Reflections

When I first started blogging, my immediate aim was to be able to say things which I desperately needed to, to be able to vent out my anger and sense of desperation, mainly at the attitudes of many fellow Muslims.

The closed conditions kept all hope of dialogue - nay, even clear thought an impossibility. For one thought of resentment, however petty would close the door for any other thought, until it was said. My good blogger friend Abdusalaam al-Hindi introduced me to MWU!, a forum I thought whose time has come. Since then, I have experienced a much more mature and smoother intellectual experience. Having said difficult things, and having heard them from others, I can now critically examine them. I would, therefore like to remain at least nominally anonymous so I can really say difficult things, without the heavy burden of immovable personal conviction. I thought the sometimes almost eerie "neo-conservative" attitude I had to witness from some self-proclaimed Salafis was turning me into a neo-liberal. To my good fortune, a free atmosphere of expression and a support system of sympathy has kept me (I'd like to think) somewhere in the space between centrist, traditional, conservatism and liberalism.

The other thing I have done at this blog is to think aloud and proclaim my political ideas, and publicise on issues of liberation - Palestine, of course being a central symbolic theme, but certainly not any more "special" than that of any other people.

Having given an outlet to this personal urge of mine to speak out - nay scream, I think I am ready to actually try some sort of dialogue with other bloggers, albeit still a highly opinionated one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Abdusalaam said...

I hear ya.

August 15, 2004 8:00 AM  
Blogger Leila M. said...

Very good. Mine began as a long ranty vent, and continues to be so. Sometimes I cringe when I read the early posts, I sometimes I want to delete the newer ones, even. In the end, I always reserve the right to change my mind at any point and time ;)

I tried the anonymous thing for a short while. But my mouth is so big, the whole notion of it went to shreds in a matter of weeks. Oh well, not many read it, so I'm relatively safe (snort)

August 16, 2004 3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home